<< Back to all Blogs
Login or Create your own free blog
Home > Name That Bug!

Name That Bug!

May 22nd, 2007 at 04:36 pm

I'm working in the new to me garden (seems like I've been doing that now for awhile) and I kept turning up these odd bug/larvae type critters.

Anyone have an idea as to what this is?

They are located in the sod I'm tearing up......they are right in the root area, so only about 1"-2" under the surface.

I can't get a picture to turn out any better, although I tried. Thank goodness for digital, I'd hate to think of all the film I'd just taken of a BUG.

He (she, it??) wiggles at the front end (assuming it's the front end) but doesn't seem to have legs. I've watched it for a bit on the surface of the ground and it doesn't burrow....

The 2nd half of my problem is the lawn is full of ridges. Not that you can see, but when walking on the lawn it feels like the sand on the beach when the tide has gone out and left the ridges...
Wondering if these critters have anything to do with the weirdness of the lawn.......or if they are a food supply to something else that is doing the nasty work to the lawn?

I have a bug-in-a-cup that I'll be taking to the garden center tomorrow to see if there is anyone there that can identify this critter.......but, I thought I'd try this avenue too. I've never seen anything like this before.

7 Responses to “Name That Bug!”

  1. nance Says:

    The "bumps" in the lawn are from nightcrawlers. I have the same problem.

  2. rcent106 Says:

    Is it a casing like a cocoon? Does it actually move around (crawl)? Maybe a Cicada or similar type of insect just waiting to hatch!

  3. LuckyRobin Says:

    Those were really rampant a couple of years ago. I'm trying to remember if they were moth pupae or beetle larvae. They look similar to gypsy moth but gypsy moth is brown. It might be a luna moth. Those are red. You might try looking on a butterfly and moth website, probably museum or university related, they often have pictures of all the pods. Or you can put it up on a gardening website.

  4. kashi Says:

    Have you tried looking on www.whatsthatbug.com?

  5. Fern Says:

    looks like larvae for japanese beetle

  6. Amy Says:

    I believe that bug is called a Chinch Bug....I have them too. Amy

  7. MMM Says:

    OMG i have those too, but i cant find out what it is! I've looked everywhere! It's hard and red and round at one end and pointy at the other!

Leave a Reply

(Note: If you were logged in, we could automatically fill in these fields for you.)
Will not be published.

* Please spell out the number 4.  [ Why? ]

vB Code: You can use these tags: [b] [i] [u] [url] [email]